I bet you all have heard the term “dry skin,” or some may have experienced the condition. Though having dry skin is pretty common, ignoring it can cause your skin to crack or be infected. That is why you need to know what causes the condition and how to deal with dry skin.
You can have dry skin because of the cold season, using low-quality soaps or eczema. The remedy for dry skin is not hard. You can easily get rid of the situation using commercial moisturizer or oil.
If you are having dry skin and looking for its cure, then give this article a read. Here, you will get to explore the scientific reasons behind the dry skin and how to get rid of this.
What is dry skin?
The medical term of the dry skin is xerosis. This refers to the condition when the skin loses its moisture in its outer cells, and it looks dry. If the condition goes untreated, it can crack, and in worst cases, the skin gets infected.
Now the question is why this happens. Here are some of the causes of dry skin:
1. Hot shower
2. Excessive heat
3. Cold weather
4. Dry air
5. Arid climate
6. Harsh chemical enriched soaps or beauty products
9. Skin conditions
How to deal with dry skin:
You can have dry skin on your face, leg, or anywhere else in your body. In this section, I will discuss all of them.
How to treat dry skin face :
You will find different methods to treat your dry skin on your face. The treatment depends on the cause of the condition and your skin type. Here are some of the best home remedies that you can try to get rid of the dry skin on the face:
1. Moisturize your skin daily : The main reason behind dry skin is that it loses the moisture from its outer cell. As a result, the skin becomes dry and starts to crack. Applying moisturizer before going to bed and cleaning it off every morning with a gentle face wash can make your skin soft again. Also, it will bring back the lost glow on your face.
However, there are various types of moisturizer, cream, or ointments available that you can use. But not all of them are good for your skin. For example, avoid moisturizers with alcohol, petroleum, dioxane, and artificial colors or fragrance. So, how will you find the safe creams?
If your cream or ointment has ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and colloidal oatmeal, it is beneficial to your face. You can use natural moisturizers for your skin too. For example, coconut oil, pure aloe vera, or shea butter, etc.
2. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser : Many of us wash our body with soaps, which can cause dry, itchy skin on face. That is why avoid the harsh soaps to wash your face. Instead, go for the mild cleansers, face washes, or face soaps. If your cleanser or soap includes the following ingredients, avoid buying or using it.
👎 DEA, SLS, MEA, Parabens, TEA
3. Change your bathing habit : Using hot water in the shower can be why you have dry skin on the face. Hot water can strip the essential natural oils from your skin. That is why you should always use warm water for bathing or washing your face. However, bathing for too long can be harmful also. Experts recommend bathing for 5 to 10 minutes so that your dry skin can heal.
4. Go for the medications : If you are having too much trouble with your dry skin, or it becomes severe, you must visit a dermatologist. Sometimes, you can experience dry skin on the face due to a medical condition. Consulting with a professional will be helpful for you if that is the case.
How to get rid of the dry skin on legs :
People often experience dry skin on the legs. It becomes more irritating if the dry cells start itching. There can be many reasons why you have flaky legs. For example,
1. Allergic dermatitis
2. Weather change
6. Using harsh products
7. Medical conditions like diabetics, HIV, thyroid issues, liver, or kidney problems.
Many people do not even understand that they have dry skin on legs. Like other diseases, this condition has some symptoms too. Here are some of the signs:
📘 Cracked skin 📘 Redness 📘 Itchiness 📘 Bleeding sores
Let’s see how to deal with dry skin on legs :
1. Avoid using artificial fragranced or colored soaps.
2. Do not take a hot shower and limit the bathing time between 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Apply moisturizer on your legs. You can use natural ones like aloe vera, shea butter, olive oil, or coconut oil. However, do not buy the products that have glycerin, antioxidants, or petroleum in them.
Home remedies to get rid of dry skin on body:
As I have said earlier that it is not hard to deal with the flaky skin. You can try different natural products to get back the soft and shiny skin. Here are some of the home remedies that you may consider:
1. Apply natural moisturizer on your skin : Most people use commercial products to keep their skin moist. But do you know natural moisturizers like coconut oil, aloe vera heal your flaky skins without any side effects?
The emollient properties of the coconut oil can fill the space between the dry skins and make a smooth surface. If you want to use a commercial product, go for the petroleum jelly or mineral oil. It heals the dry skin by trapping the moisture under the surface.
2. Make sure you bathe right : Most of us do not have the right idea of bathing. If you spend hours under the water, it is harmful to your skin. Professionals suggest to limit the time between 5 to 10 minutes and use warm waters.
3. A humidifier is a good option : If you have a humidifier installed in your home, your dry skin will heal easily. According to a Harvard study, setting the humidifier to 60 percent keeps the skin moist and soft.
Having flaky or itchy skin is common. If you are experiencing anything like that, follow this guide on how to deal with dry skin. Your skin will heal and get better by applying these remedies.