Acne is a very common skin concern and it can affect the lives of many people. If you are affected by Acne then you are not the only one. There are many people who had Acne between the age of 11 – 30.
Acne can be caused due to hormones. It can be caused by bacteria and other skin abnormalities too. Did you know that what you eat can also affect Acne? You must be wondering how diet affects Acne? As shocking as it might sound, what you eat does have a role to play in the case of Acne.
What is Acne?
Acne is a very common skin problem. As discussed earlier it can be triggered by hormonal changes. It mostly happens among children who are going through puberty.
In most cases, it might just go away without the need for any kind of treatment. It often happens that when some of them go away others appear in our skin.
There are generally three types of acne based on the level of severity. They are mild, moderate, and severe acne.
There are also many different treatments that you can take to treat Acne and many of them are very effective.
What are the causes of Acne?
There are several factors that can lead to Acne. Before you can understand what causes Acne, it is important for you to understand how Acne is caused.
Our skin has small holes which are also known as pores. These pores connect our oil glands to the skin. Sebum is produced through the oil glands which are passed through the pores. They are used to clean the dead cells from our skin.
Acne occurs when the pores are blocked by the dead cells and oil quantity increases in our skin cells. It can cause bacterial infection. The oil secretion can also increase when there is a hormone imbalance.
How Diet Affects Acne?
Your diet can play a vital role in triggering the growth of Acne in your skin. There are some diets that can increase the blood sugar level in our body. A hormone called insulin is produced in our body more rapidly when the blood sugar level increases in our body.
Due to the rise of insulin in our body, the production of oils in our body also increases. This later can lead to Acne. Anti Acne diet plan is important to formulate if you don’t want acne to appear in your skin.
Foods that cause Acne:
There are some foods that directly leads to the growth of acne. We have listed some of the major foods that cause Acne.
1. Dairy Products: Milk, eggs, and other dairy products can be a cause of Acne. If you already have Acne then it might be best for you to avoid these foods. It is a good idea to go completely vegan if you love your skin.
2. Foods with a high GI and GL: GI stands for glycemic index and GL stands for glycemic load. GI and GL help to determine the speed at which foods can increase the blood sugar level in our body.
We have already mentioned that some foods can cause the blood sugar level to rise drastically which later rises insulin production. Some of those foods that have high GI and GL are:
▪ Sweetened Cereals
▪ Pasta and Tacos
▪ Short Grain White Rice
▪ Cakes, Chocolates
These foods contain high calories and also they raise the blood sugar level very quickly. It is best for us to avoid these kinds of foods from our diet completely. There are many diets for Acne free skin that we can follow.
Foods that Cure Acne:
There are not many kinds of research done on foods that can help cure Acne. It has been found that foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids can help in improving Acne.
1. Vegetables: There are many different kinds of vegetables that can help combat Acne. Some of them are broccoli, spinach, kale, cauliflower, carrots, beets, and others. Include them in your daily diet plan and they can help in reducing Acne. These foods are also great for your overall health.
2. Fruits: Who doesn’t like fruits? Well, these fruits are not just delicious but also they can help in preventing Acne. Some of them are grapefruit, apple, cherries, peaches, pears, and apples. It is very easy to include them in your diet plan.
You can have them daily to reduce the effects of acne on your skin. You can also make drinks out of them and have them after a workout or for your breakfast.
3. High Protein Foods: Foods that are rich in protein are also essential to be included in your diet. They enrich your overall diet plan. Chicken, Turkey, eggs, etc are foods that have an essential protein that our body needs. You can have them for breakfast as well as for lunch.
4. Herbs and Spices: There are various types of herbs and spices that can help in keeping Acne in control. Turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper can protect your skin from Acne. You can use them to make delicious foods for breakfast and lunch. They are very healthy for the body also.
5. Alternatives to dairy products: There are many food products that you can use as an alternative to dairy products. Cashew milk, almond milk, coconut milk, are some of the foods that can be a very good alternative to dairy products. They are both healthy and tasty as well.
6. Healthy Fats: Not all fats are bad. Some of the food sources of fat are very good. These healthy fats can be found in olive oil, avocados, nut butter, and many other fats. They are very helpful when it comes to preventing Acne.
Your diet and Acne have a strong connection and it is important to know how diet affects Acne. We have tried to cover all the details on this topic and also tried to provide a detailed guideline so you know what to do. Incorporate healthy foods more in your diet to stay away from any kind of skin disease.